Course DescriptionStudents will learn the process of technical writing through hands-on projects that include identifying the audience, organizing content, document revision and document design. This course covers an assortment of writing styles, including web writing, definitions, descriptions, instructions, reports and basic business communication.
Upon completion, participants will be able to:
- Identify how technical writing is used, and the processes and teams involved in technical writing.
- Create a plan to analyze readers and organize documents.
- Choose tone, organization and format for writing letters, memos and emails.
- Plan the organization of documents and make revisions to style and language.
- Organize and plan web writing.
- Plan and write definitions and descriptions.
- Plan and write documents that explain procedures.
- Plan and write short and long reports.
- Write resumes and prepare oral reports.
- Create a portfolio of technical writing projects completed in the course.
Participants will have 180 days to complete this self-paced online course.
All necessary materials are included.
Internet Connectivity Requirements:
- Cable and DSL internet connections are recommended.
- Minimum Pentium 400 Mhz CPU or G3 Macintosh. 1 GHz or greater CPU recommended.
- 256MB RAM minimum. 1 GB RAM recommended.
- 800x600 video resolution minimum. 1025x768 recommended.
- Speakers/Headphones to listen to Dialogue streaming audio sessions.
- A microphone to speak in Dialogue streaming audio sessions.
Operating System Requirements:
- Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 9, 10
- Mac OSX 10 or higher.
- OpenSUSE Linux 9.2 or higher.
Web Browser Requirements:
- Google Chrome is recommended.
- Firefox 13.x or greater.
- Internet Explorer 6.x or greater.
- Safari 3.2.2 or greater.
- Adobe Flash Player 6 or greater.
- Oracle Java 7 or greater.
- Adobe Reader 7 or greater.
Web Browser Settings:
- Accept Cookies
- Disable Pop-up Blocker.