Course DescriptionIntroduction to the grip and electric department, crew positions, on-set protocol, equipment, terminology and safety. Trainees will perform hands on exercises with inventory and maintenance of equipment, dolly operation, rigging and supporting cameras, vehicles rigging, placement of lighting instruments, properly setting lamps, power distribution, lighting a set to feature film standards and motion picture photography, and other physical/mechanical devices. Prerequisite: Production Assistant Basics
Upon completion, participants will be able to:
- Effectively perform production assistant duties in the grip and electric department on a movie set with a creative methodical approach.
- Interpret and breakdown a script as it relates to the grip and lighting departments.
- Analyze problems situations and adapt with a positive attitude.
- Evaluate all situations for safety concerns and report them through the proper chain of command.
- Identify the responsibilities and hierarchy of each position within the grip and electric departments.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the grip and electric terminology, equipment and etiquette.
- Demonstrate the proper handling and set up of grip and lighting equipment.
- Demonstrate the proper handling and set up of a dolly.
- Demonstrate organizational skills with staging and inventory of equipment.
- Demonstrate relevant safety procedures.
- Opportunity to apply for position on Tri-C Film Academy short film practicum.