Course DescriptionThis course provides practical training for on-set production assistants in the art department. Trainees will learn about the responsibilities for each art department positions on the design team, construction crew, set dressing, props, wardrobe, and hair and makeup. Trainees will also learn art department terminology, script breakdowns, purchases and returns, handling petty cash, safety procedures and hands-on set dressing in-studio and on location. Prerequisite: Production Assistant Basics
Upon completion, participants will be able to:
- Effectively perform production assistant duties in the art department of a movie set with a creative methodical approach.
- Build and dress a set using pre-constructed Hollywood flats.
- Interpret and breakdown a script as it relates to the art department.
- Analyze problems and situations, and adapt with a positive attitude.
- Evaluate all situations for safety concerns and report them through the proper chain of command.
- Identify the responsibilities and hierarchy of each position within the art department.
- Demonstrate an understanding of art department terminology and etiquette.
- Demonstrate the ability to use Hollywood flats to construct a set.
- Demonstrate organizational skills with purchases, returns and completion of paperwork.
- Demonstrate the production assistant’s tasks in the art department as it relates to set dressing and property.
- Apply design skills with precise attention to detail.
- Demonstrate relevant safety procedures.
- Can apply for position on Tri-C Film Academy Short Film On-Set Practicum.