This course is designed for camera operators looking to advance their knowledge of digital cinema cameras and crew responsibilities in the camera department. Trainees will gain advanced technical knowledge of the digital cinema camera, including assembly, troubleshooting and operation. Training wraps up with a two-day practicum that entails shooting a scene with a director, actors and script supervisor. Trainees will rotate through each camera department position, gaining the skills needed to perform various roles in the camera department on a professional set.
Upon completion, participants will be able to:
- Effectively perform camera operation duties in the camera department on a multimedia or movie set with a creative methodical approach.
- Interpret and break down a script as it relates to the camera department.
- Analyze problem situations and adapt with a positive attitude.
- Evaluate all situations for safety concerns and report them through the proper chain of command.
- Identify the responsibilities and hierarchy of each position within the camera department.
- Demonstrate an understanding of camera terminology, technical aspects of a cinema cameras, troubleshooting and media handling.
- Demonstrate an understanding of camera operation and camera movement.
- Demonstrate organizational skills with staging and equipment inventory.
- Apply for a position on the Tri-C Film Academy Short Film Intensive.
- Quiz to assess knowledge of positions, terminology, etiquette, procedures and safety.
- Task Performance Review (Rubric)
- Digital cinema camera, support system, lenses, slate and accessories.
- Dolly or slider.
- Grip and electric package, gaffer.