This course is a weeklong hands-on intensive taught by acclaimed professional members of the Directors Guild of America (DGA). It is an advanced course for those seeking to learn essential directing techniques to get the best performance from actors. The week begins by breaking down a short scene, creating a floor plan and shot lists, and discussing actor selection. Trainees will be actively involved in the casting session, actor selection and rehearsals. At the end of the intensive, trainees will participate in recording the scene using the shot list created earlier in the week.
Upon completion, participants will be able to:
- Interact with potential actors and gain their trust.
- Demonstrate casting and rehearsal techniques.
- Understand modern frame composition, advanced staging and blocking.
- Identify creative approaches to continuity shooting: The director’s shot list, floor plan, script breakdown and notes, with script-to-screen examples.
Who should enroll in this course:
- Independent filmmakers
- Web series directors
- Television series directors
- Film students
- Film producers
- Digital cinema camera, support system, lenses, slate and accessories
- Basic lighting