This course is ideal for anyone seeking to learn the essentials in writing or acquiring grants for private, public or government use. If you are thinking of starting a business that utilizes grants, you will need to learn the essentials of writing, researching, obtaining and maintaining grants and operations and strategies within the grant system.
This course contains the following lessons:
- Grant Research
- Introduction to Grant Writing
- Technical Writing
- Advanced Grant Writing
- Budgeting Essentials
- Effective Writing Skills
- Specialized Writing Techniques for Grants
- Fundraising Fundamentals
- Grammar Essentials
- Nonprofit Management and Governance
1. This is a self-directed, self-paced course — there is no "instructor," but there is a facilitator who will provide a grade for each assignment. Use the "Email Support" link under the "Menu" button at the top left of your course page to contact course or technical support as needed.
2. You may complete the course at your own pace, as long as you complete it within the 12-month course access.
3. It is required that you progress through the courses in a logical sequence by moving through each session and lecture in order. The arrows on the session link are "bookmarked" so if, for example, you complete three lectures in a session and then log off, the course will remember your last completed session and take you to the appropriate place when you log in again. You may move freely back and forth between sessions and lectures, but it is required that you complete the sessions and assignments in order.
4. Each session is comprised of various lectures that include video and text. In addition, there are self-assessment quiz questions at the end of each session to help reinforce your learning, as well as assignments.
5. To complete an assignment, you will see a button to upload your assignment in Word, Excel or PDF as appropriate. Your facilitator will automatically be notified that you have posted an assignment, and an e-mail response with a link will be sent to you within 48 hours.
6. You will not receive full credit for the course if you do not complete all required assignments and complete all sessions. You will need to receive a 70% to pass the course and receive a Certificate of Completion.
It usually takes between six and eight months for a student to complete the program.
Participants will have 12 months to complete this mentor-supported online course.
All necessary materials are included.
Internet Connectivity Requirements:
- Cable and DSL internet connections recommended
- Minimum Pentium 400 Mhz CPU or G3 Macintosh. 1 GHz or greater CPU recommended
- 256 MB RAM minimum. 1 GB RAM recommended.
- 800x600 video resolution minimum. 1025x768 recommended
- Speakers/headphones to listen to dialogue streaming audio sessions
- A microphone to speak in dialogue streaming audio sessions
Operating System Requirements:
- Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 9, 10
- Mac OSX 10 or higher
- OpenSUSE Linux 9.2 or higher
Web Browser Requirements:
- Google Chrome recommended
- Firefox 13.x or greater
- Internet Explorer 6.x or greater
- Safari 3.2.2 or greater
- Adobe Flash Player 6 or greater
- Oracle Java 7 or greater
- Adobe Reader 7 or greater
Web Browser Settings:
- Accept cookies
- Disable pop-up blocker