This course is an orientation for the field of costuming in film. Students will learn various aspects of how a costume department is managed. This will include basic film costume personnel, costume research, designing the character, script breakdown, costume breakdown, budgeting basics, set etiquette, daily responsibilities and information on entering the industry.
Practical exercises will include various in-class and offline assignments covering how to interpret a script, research, design, costume breakdown, costume continuity, and understanding production schedules and breakdowns.
The objective of this course is to gain effective knowledge of how a costume department is managed and the responsibilities of the costume personnel, as well as best practices to be hired in an entry-level position.
Upon completion, participants will have knowledge in the following areas:
- Understanding the roles and responsibilities of costume personnel.
- Interpreting the script and managing the design process.
- Script breakdown.
- Organization of the department through all stages of the film process.
- Working with actors.
- Collaborating with other departments.
- Costume-tracking procedures.
- Working in the industry
- Best practices to enter the industry and working your way up.