Participants will explore the phenomenon of unconscious bias, and how they can minimize its effects in the workplace and in customer/client relations. Each participant will learn how their unique identities shape their experiences and impact their day-to-day interactions with others. Participants will also learn strategies for minimizing the effects of unconscious bias, which take the form of verbal, nonverbal and environmental micro-messages.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Learn what unconscious bias is, how it occurs and how it can affect work practices.
- Discover ways to detect hidden bias.
- Recognize the benefits of diversity as well as its role in conflict.
- Identify instances of small, subconscious behaviors and micro-inequities.
- Learn how to leverage communication and empathy to help prevent conflict from occurring.
- Lead by example, becoming a part of the solution.