Course DescriptionThis online course provides an introduction to the concepts and uses of accounting in a business environment. The primary areas of study include analysis of business transactions; recording procedures and the use of ledgers and journals; accounting for sales and purchases; managing cash, payroll, accruals and deferrals; and preparation and analysis of basic financial statements. Learn to use QuickBooks Online Plus by completing two monthly accounting cycles. Payroll preparation and creating a new company will also be covered. While no prior QuickBooks knowledge is required, students taking this course should have some familiarity with the accounting cycle and how it relates to a business. While the reading requirements are light, the majority of this extensive, hands-on course consists of drill exercises and related practice activities and quizzes based on the knowledge gained from completing each chapter.
Fundamentals of Accounting Curriculum
- Lesson 1: Introduction to Accounting
- Lesson 2: Analyzing Business Transactions
- Lesson 3: Recording Transactions
- Lesson 4: Accounting for Sales and Purchases
- Lesson 5: Payroll
- Lesson 6: Accruals, Deferrals and the Worksheet
- Lesson 7: Financial Statements and Closing Procedures
Intuit QuickBooks Online Plus Curriculum
- Lesson 1: Introduction to QuickBooks Online Plus
- Lesson 2: Create a Company
- Lesson 3: Sales and Receivables: Service Items
- Lesson 4: Payables and Purchases
- Lesson 5: General Accounting and End-of-Period Procedures
- Lesson 6: Sales and Receivables: Product and Service Items
- Lesson 7: Payables, Purchases and Inventory
- Lesson 8: General Accounting, End-of-Period Procedures and Budgets
- Lesson 9: Payroll
- Lesson 10: Quickbooks Desktop, Mobile and Additional Features
Upon completion, participants will be able to:
- Understand business and financial accounting and its role in bookkeeping administration.
- Recognize accounting transactions and record them in journals using proper formats.
- Use accounting software and spreadsheets to input, manage and interpret information.
- Apply the concepts of accrual accounting to transactions that span fiscal periods.
- Record accounting transactions for merchandising operations and understand how to cost inventories using a variety of methods.
- Journalize transactions specific to managing cash and accounts receivable.
- Record transactions for uncollectible accounts.
- Prepare financial statements including income statements, statements of retained earnings, balance sheets and statements of cash flow.
- Create professional and accurate financial documents.
- Navigate QuickBooks Online Plus.
- Create and use a company.
- Analyze and record transactions for service and inventory businesses.
- Conduct transactions for both customer and vendor requests.
- Complete transactions and account for two full monthly business cycles.
- Prepare payroll using QuickBooks Online Payroll.
- Create and print business forms and reports.
This course prepares students to take the Intuit QuickBooks Certified User Online certification exam.
Participants will have 12 months to complete this course.
Students are eligible for a free 365-day copy of Intuit QuickBooks Online Plus from the
Intuit Education Program in order to follow along with course content.
Internet Connectivity Requirements:
- Cable and DSL internet connections are recommended.
- Minimum Pentium 400 Mhz CPU or G3 Macintosh. 1 GHz or greater CPU recommended.
- 256MB RAM minimum. 1 GB RAM recommended.
- 800x600 video resolution minimum. 1025x768 recommended.
- Speakers/headphones to listen to Dialogue steaming audio sessions.
- A microphone to speak in Dialogue streaming audio sessions.
Operating System Requirements:
- Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 9, 10
- Mac OSX 10 or higher.
- OpenSUSE Linux 9.2 or higher.
Web Browser Requirements:
- Google Chrome is recommended.
- Firefox 13.x or greater.
- Internet Explorer 6.x or greater.
- Safari 3.2.2 or greater.
- Adobe Flash Player 6 or greater.
- Oracle Java 7 or greater.
- Adobe Reader 7 or greater.
Web Browser Settings:
- Accept cookies.
- Disable pop-up blocker.